Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Popeye



REBELLION!
I will go mad if I hear one more critic say that Popeye is a mess, or one more person laugh and look at me strange when I bring up this movie. This movie is a work of art. The songs are works of art. Shelley Duvall's Olive Oil is a work of art. The lines Robin Williams mumbles so you have to watch the movie ten times to hear them are a work of art. The set is, the plot is. Did I say the music is? You're going to tell me that Shelley Duval dancing about oddly on the deck singing he needs me, he needs me, isn't just absolutely perfect!? And that whole Fooey, fooey scene! I'm gonna do one of those twist up my arm punches to the next person that says this movie was a travesty for Williams or show boating by Altman or anything else! AUGHHHHH! thanks for listening.

Believe those who reviewed it here, NOT the critics.
I really do not know how this film flopped in the Box Office:

Just like every reviewer (not weird critics) who wrote here, I believe this is an extraordinary movie.

One of the critics wrote that it is boring? I really really really cannot see if the guy is talking about this movie or another. If you wanna see for yourself just skim the other reviews:

This is a movie that has been watched tens and hundreds of times by those who own it. Boring? I do not know of any other movie that can withstand repeated viewing like this one, nor that has been so reported by its most positive reviewers.

Our whole family has watched this film for hundreds of times, other reviewers also mention similar numbers.

Why?

1- The script is unbelievable: Popeye (Williams) is blabbering all the time (as well as other chartacters): Somebody is always saying something, and each time we watch the movie again, we find new jokes, and in good style.

We know those who produced the film did not rip-us off...

Robin Williams Makes Popeye A Reality
For Robin Williams first movie, he chose the Iconic character of Popeye The Sailor to portray. I rememer the hooflaw surrounding this flick when I was a kid (I was like 10 when this came out) and the success of Mork & Mindy had put Williams in the spotlight. The only problem was that Popeye is not as Iconic a character as the people who made this movie thought. He isn't Superman. He isn't Batman. He isn't Mickey Mouse. Popeye the cartoon character, though classic and kid-pleasing, just wasn't that popular with the chidren and the fact that they made it into a musical probably didn't help much either. Though the film was mildly-successful, it never hit as hard as people expected. The good thing, however, is that Robert Altman (M*A*S*H, Short Cuts) directed, so Popeye as a whole is visually masterful. The actors were perfect for their parts. Shelley Duvall's Olive Oyl is without a doubt one of the best acting casts in history! Bluto comes to life as does Wimpy and Popeye's...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment